Monday, January 19, 2015

Sister Wynn's E-mail from January 19

Nama berita guys,

I hope you're excited to see me in a week with my crazy tan lines, rice belly, massive biking muscles (that means my butt), greasy hair, and lack of social skills. It hasn't really hit me that I go home so soon and it probably won't hit me until I see my family. The members in both branches have been asking me to make sure I swing by their homes before I go home. Have I mentioned how much the members here are saints? I love them so much and if it weren't for my family and the temple I'd want to stay here forever.

There was a night where we borrowed the elders' bikes because the STLs were borrowing ours, and it was pouring rain and pitch black and I have never been more terrified in my life. Especially in the roundabout. With brakes and a light that don't work. But in those moments where I thought "Hmm maybe people can't see me" I prayed more fervently that I wouldn't die. This week I realized one of the biggest, most underrated miracles in our mission is we get into accidents less than we should. Because the drivers here are nuts.

Tudan is a magical, magical place. I went on splits with Sister Coward and we decided to explore Tudan, which I previously heard was a maze of rumah kayu (true) and that sister missionaries should never go there at night. But in the afternoon, we talked to a lot of nice families and taught them a little bit while asking them around for some of our less actives. I probably never would have ventured out there except our relief society president was telling us she was thinking about some of her sisters out there who she hadn't seen in a long time. So I volunteered us to rescue them. Anything for the church members here. Also, this splits day locked in Sister Coward's and my friendship, and she promised to take me to the shire after our missions. NZ 2016  baby!

We broke over 100 people at church. Turns out visiting less actives and asking them to come back to church because we need them and they're great works. Last night, Sister Pitts and I had a fluke day where we biked all the way up to Lutong but all of our appointments fell through. We tried to visit a member of the branch presidency, but he was at kampung. The Elders' investigators, a way cute young couple who are getting baptized this week, saw us in the pouring rain and invited us in. We had a good time laughing it up with them.

I should also mention after we walked into Gospel Principles during church, all of the elders' investigators, AND my investigators, started teasing me relentlessly. The elders turned them against me! But it was all in good fun and if you can't take the heat, stop hanging out with Ibans. Because they're relentless pengacaus.

Albert and Attilla made us a nice meal of noodles, and they dared me to eat a whole chili pepper. Elder Sheranian did it first, and said he was fine, so obviously I had to do it, and my tongue actually felt like it was bleeding. I started crying and Sister Pitts got the whole thing on video.

Eating whole chili peppers!

There are days where I'm tired. Really tired. And my stomach kind of always has this dull ache because Malaysia is slowly killing me. But I love it here so much and I know I'm going to miss my mission so much. It's like you're biking along a highway as fast as you can and then you crash into a brick wall. I imagine that's how it's going to end. It just stops.

One thing I've been thinking about lately is how the gospel is about courage. Courage to talk to people right away about how much they need Christ in their life, courage to stand up for what's right, and not what's popular, and courage to live the gospel even when it's hard.

I'll be going home to a place where being religious is not popular. Being spiritual is, but not religious. And being a member of this church is not cool, or really tolerated by some people. But God's commandments are God's commandments, even if laws or personal opinions say otherwise. And I'm grateful my mission has taught me to be fearless because I've defended my beliefs, and more importantly, Jesus Christ, time and time again here.


I'm also grateful for the eternal perspective. The STLs asked me to share a couple thoughts during a devotional they gave to the sisters (because they think I'm a wise and experienced missionary haha) and I said something along the lines of

The difference between everything and nothing is the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

So I will continue to work myself into the ground for the people here, for the people I love back home who need this, and for everything the church stands for.

Wow that was way cheesy but it's true, I'm a missionary forever and ever and ever. I want to give my whole soul to God because that's all I have to give.

See you really soon.

xo Sister Wynn

Feeling like a dog on some days!

No comments:

Post a Comment