Monday, January 12, 2015

Run to the tape

Nama berita kita wai,

I can finally say I got bitten by a dog on my mission. It took a chomp out of my thigh and it hurt SO bad. After I stopped chasing it around the kampung yelling at it, I surveyed the damage, thinking I had to be bleeding. My skirt had a huge tear, but my leg was completely fine except for a little bruise. I'm gonna miss those little missionary miracles.

Well, our elders are secret geniuses (and as we discovered last Monday, not bad at karaoke or rapping in Malay or party rocking). Elder Sheranian gave us a training on how to door contact, and the zone leaders pitched in and gave us tips. I rolled my eyes but we decided to try it out this week. Two families and ten return appointments later...

Pitts and I did the math and we realized more than half the people we contact let us come back. I think it has to do with the pleas we send to Heaven to help us before we start knocking doors. I've never knocked so many doors on my mission before. It's cool because I've gone from the mindset at the beginning of my mission that only the best missionary work comes from referrals from church members to realizing most of our members found the church because missionaries showed up on their door. Knocking works great here. Still not the best way to do missionary work (that comes from us regular members) but pretty dang good. My knuckles are sore.

The best is when we knock on people's metal gates with our keys. I just kind of slam my palm onto the gate slowly and ominously while Sister Pitts laughs at me.

My favorite is this sweet Melanau family we found. (Melanau is a bangsa from Mukah).We have a husband, wife, daughter, son-in-law, other daughter, and a bunch of little kids. And maybe grandpa too if he wants. They recently have been wanting to learn about Christianity, so it was good we showed up on their doorstep. There really are people wanting and ready to learn the gospel out there. I love finding those people. Sister Pitts told me she always lets me teach about Christ's life because I get so into it in lessons. I use my Gospel Art Book (the one with all the beautiful paintings) and show people how Christ was among the people and He healed them and comforted them and befriended them, and He does the same to the people we teach. There's a series of Christ lifting people up; lifting up Jarius' daughter, lifting Peter out of the sea, lifting the man at the pool of Bethesda, and I tell people Christ can lift them today, just like He's lifted me.

The Atonement is real you guys. I've been using it a lot this week as I've been sick and sad and feeling like a pretty useless missionary. There are moments where I have pangs of sadness because I don't feel like I'm good enough, but then these thoughts are placed into my mind that of course I'm good enough, I'm good enough because of my divine origin, and I can be made better because Christ was the perfect example. Also I'm surrounded by amazing people here (members and missionaries) who say kind things to me or about me in passing and don't realize how much it means to me.

Favorite moments:




Winnie, one of our moms, came to church for the first time in her whole life. Everything at church fell apart and was disorganized, and we got dragged away from her to babysit primary, and her kid tried to be in primary but ran out crying because the other kids made him cry. I was really frustrated with the lack of organization and fellowship yesterday, but in asking her about her experience, she said, "I. Loved. Church. I'll definitely be back next week." And that's how I know the church is true. Because even though it doesn't have all the neon lights and facilities and budgets like the other churches here, the spirit makes up for anything else we lack. And her family is making us dinner this week.

Biking to the internet kedai today with Sisters Pitts, Fonbuena, and Pullicar. I was biking next to Sister Fonbuena by Bulatan Park and said, "I feel like we're in that montage of all the roommates biking through the tulips in The Best Two Years." This morning, Sister Pitts and I stood on a chair on our flooded porch and sang "How Firm a Foundation" as the Miri 2 sisters joined us. Dorky but way fun to yell all seven verses to our neighborhood.

Visiting Irak last Monday, who is the new branch president in Miri 2, and telling him how awesome he is (even though he is definitely internally freaking out). It was nice to visit his home again and feel a stronger spirit there. Also their new carpet is blue. They kept all the pictures/notes I ever sent them, and Irak told me how much it meant to him that Sister LeBaron and I taught his family.


I think what Heavenly Father is trying to teach us to push through the bad stuff. Even when we're tired. And even when we're sick. I'm working myself stupid over here but my favorite days are the days I come home exhausted because I did everything I possibly could. Don't worry, we rest when we need to.

When through fiery trials thy pathway shall lie,
My grace, all-sufficient, shall be thy supply;
The flame shall not harm thee; I only design
Thy dross to consume and thy gold to refine.

Love you. See you soon.

xo Sister Wynn

No comments:

Post a Comment