Monday, January 26, 2015

Love Never Needs a Visa

Nama berita kitak waiii,

This week was great. We brought Alice and her way nakal kid to a lesson at Winnies, and their kids played and spilled Horlick's all over my Gospel Art book and kept grabbing our mini earth pictures. I thought for a sec how fun lessons are and how after a while, kids running around smacking each other (and sometimes me) and how we as missionaries just get used to embracing the chaos of it all.

We just went around this week finding people as per usual, and we found a couple new families, nine new investigators total. A couple weeks ago, I took a wrong turn and we found ourselves at Miri Vocational College and the flats across from it. We call them the Fruit Flats because they're all named after fruits. We found a nice family in the Cempadak (jackfruit) flat and a couple others in the Rambutan and Rambai flats. So cute. And it turns out they all work for the government.

We roped the elders into helping us paint an investigator family's house in Tudan, but I think they got more paint on me than on the walls. But service works.

Miri as a whole had seven baptisms on Saturday. It was the elders' turn to bail out the font. I will weirdly miss how none of the baptismal fonts work quite right here haha. The pump to drain the water has been broken for a few months now. I was especially happy for Elders Hill and Sheranian, they baptized the sweetest, most pandai kacau couple ever. And even after they received the gift of the Holy Ghost on Sunday, they still kacaued me relentlessly in Gospel Principles class.



Saturday night, I barfed again, because, Malaysia, and I was awake most of the night anyway. Sunday morning, I woke up hurting and pretty mad, and one of our pseudo investigators called and asked if we could walk with him to church. We haven't counted him as an investigator yet because he doesn't speak that much Malay, but he's the dad of one of our less-actives. So we biked over to his house, and I was pretty grumpy the whole way there. But I had the thought, "Just enjoy the rest of your time here." Of course, he wasn't ready and was rocking a dirty shirt and cut off jeans. I kind of snapped, "You need a white shirt." He went back into his house and came out with a white polo and said, "Is this okay?"

I softened and said it was, and then he came back out with slacks too. He looked adorable, this tiny little old man who just wanted to go to church with us. I dreaded walking the whole way to church because I was in so much pain, but we were able to ask another family down the street to take him to church. Biking to church, I prayed for forgiveness as my heart swelled with joy. A man at church is a man at church. And when was my mission ever about me?

It was hard starting to say my good-byes yesterday. I'm more of a "See you soon" kind of person anyway. I got so many nice pictures with me and the members from all three branches here for kenangan. I love them. Said good-bye to Rita and her kids and neighbors as the boys ran out the door to play soccer. Put a couple investigators on date for my lesson as I promised them that following Christ will help them understand everything good in life comes from God. And life will get even better. And they said yes.

Said good-bye to Chrosper and Laju and the saudara, and Kanan and Septia. A couple times I teared up as I said "Kami jalan dulu."





This morning the missionaries ate at Madli's for breakfast, knowing our tight zone was going to be destroyed this transfer. These are good kids and good missionaries.

The Miri Zone.


It doesn't feel like I'm going home and it probably won't hit me until I see my family.

Well, not much else to report on. We're planning on saying good-bye to some more people today. Life is so good. I have loved every day of my mission and I'm still baffled by how much Heavenly Father loved me enough to send me here even though I'm so imperfect and don't feel like I deserve the experiences and blessings and joy I've had in my life.

But I'll take it. I love the people of Malaysia.

See you soon.

xo Sister Wynn

No comments:

Post a Comment