Monday, December 22, 2014

Miri Christmas

Selamat Christmas everyone,

It's a Christmas Miricle! I'm hilarious. Never in mission history has a zone been unaffected by a transfer until now. In the words of Elder Stewart, "We've avoided the all-knowing gaze of President Mains."

"Everyone, good job staying under the radar." said Elder Fowler.

Lots of Christmasy things going on. We went to the last night of Youth Conference and got to see all our youth perform their way cool tradational Sarawak dances,  I got to see Nayan and Subyia, now converts, at the Christmas party, we got a Christmas tree for the house, we've been caroling with the branch a million times. As we've contacted people at their doors, Sister Pitts and I just break out singing Christmas songs.

And they LOVE it.

"Mild He lays His glory by
Born that man no more may die.

Born to raise the sons of earth,
Born to give them second birth."

And then we yell the chorus. "Hark! The herald angels sing! Glory to the newborn king!"

Caroling

As a zone, we decided to do secret Santa between the missionaries, and I get to be Elder Geilman's secret Santa, which I'm stoked for because he's the nicest 18 year old boy ever, still kind of new in the mission so he doesn't have a million souvenirs already, and may or may not be the great-grandson of President Packer (I'll be sure to send him a sarong or something haha).

Sister Pitts and I have been focusing on rescuing less-actives lately, because I've been rescued too. Rescued by my parents, the missionaries in Glendale, by incredible YW leaders, Sunday school teachers, my seminary teacher, and by Christ. It's been underwhelmingly easy to find them, and even though many of them hid from the missionaries just a few short months ago, they were ready to let us in and expressed sorrow for not being able to come to church. A lot of them still read their scriptures every day, and it's usually a work or transportation issue that keeps them from coming to church. For whatever reason, Sister Pitts and I felt impressed to leave many of our less actives alone last transfer and to find new investigators through our own efforts, but this transfer it seems like we're supposed to focus on reactivating them. Lebih senang because that means I get to spend more time in people's homes for my last month here. I love the people here. Have I expressed that enough?

The elders, the senior couple, Sister Pitts, and myself were able to visit a member in the Miri hospital from Bintulu. Elder Ferguson gave me a call a few days ago to let me know and then we figured out the logistics of getting us there. I love that we take care of each other. I love the Priesthood.


I'm grateful for all of the emails from my friends and family expressing how happy they are I'm here for Christmas. Christmas in the mission field is the best. But it's also hard. So, so hard. Lately I've been longing to be home, so it was nice to get reminders from back home that this is the most important thing and to get my head back in the game. Christmas and missionary work are synonymous.


"The Son of God became a man to enable men to become Sons of God." -C.S. Lewis

I'll see you guys real soon.

Merry Christmas, love you guys to the moon and back.

xo Sister Wynn

No comments:

Post a Comment